Thinking About “Getting To Yes”

(Photo: Kyle MacDonald / Creative Commons)

By Kevin R. Convey

I’ve negotiated for things all my life – many jobs, half a dozen cars, two homes, a stainless steel bracelet from a sullen African vendor in Marseilles and an antique brass mortar and pestle from a grumpy Greek in an Athens bazaar He hammered the thing so hard after we settled on a price that my ears were ringing for the rest of the day.

But I didn’t truly understand some aspects of negotiation from the inside out until our exercise in Jeremy Caplan’s class on Monday. And that despite preparing to negotiate the terms of my most recent newspaper job by studying the classic book on negotiation, “Getting to Yes” (Fisher and Ury, Penguin).

The thing about “Getting to Yes” is that it trains you to consider your BATNA (best alternative to a negotiated agreement) and that of your negotiating partner – the book eschews terms such as “opponent” as counterproductive urging you to try to see to your, well, opponent, as a partner in a joint venture to reach an agreement.

And “Getting to Yes” also counsels you in several other ways. It suggests that you separate people from the problem, focus on interests rather than positions, invent negotiating options for mutual gain and insist in using objective criteria.

The problem, of course, is that while it’s easy to arrive at your own BATNA – since I was happy in my job at the time, mine was simply to stay put – it’s hard to know what your partner’s is, especially if he will not share it with you. In my case, my partner had said there were no other candidates – suggesting that his BATNA was less palatable than mine — but it was such an astonishing admission from a veteran negotiator that I suspected it was ploy. Knowing my BATNA – and being at peace with it — allowed me to react to what I considered a first, low-ball offer by revealing it.  If a better offer were not forthcoming — and I suggested what that might be, higher than I would actually settle for, to create some room for negotiation — I would happily stay put.

“Getting to Yes” also places great stock on identifying your own interests – what’s most important to you in the negotiation — and in trying to determine you partner’s. Again, though, the problem is, you can guess at your partner’s interests and you can ask. But if he will not reveal what is most important to him in the negotiation, you are stuck. In my negotiation, every effort I made to learn this so I could bargain a better outcome for both sides was met with a stone wall. What the other side really wanted, it seemed, was to buy me as cheaply as possible.

Fisher and Ury confront this problem as well in their chapter called “What if They Won’t Play?” But every attempt I made to use their suggested negotiation jiujitsu techniques wound up flat on its back on the mat. No dice. In the end, we managed to settle on the only thing that seemed to matter to them – my salary. They spent more than they wanted on me, and I accepted less than I’d hoped for. I suppose mutual disappointment is as good a definition of a successful negotiation as anything else.

But what was interesting about our in-class role-playing was the mutually assured destruction aspect of it. You could clearly see in each game – in a way it’s hard to see during an actual negotiation – that greedy behavior ultimately punishes both sides. The best results consistently came about from a share-the-pie, live and let live approach to the negotiations. It was eye-opening.

But here’s what I wonder about: What we did in class was an exercise, with very little at stake besides learning something and trying to do it well. Had I gone into my job negotiation with that approach – moderating my own expectations in the hope the other side would reciprocate for mutual gain, I wonder what would have happened. Somehow, I doubt I would have made out as well in the real world as I did in the classroom.

59 thoughts on “Thinking About “Getting To Yes”

1. wannest  wanning  wantage  wanters  wanting  wantons
     wapitis  wapping. brent    breve    brews    briar
       bribe    brick    bride    brief. bladdery bladings blagging blamable blamably blameful blanched blancher.

2. Having to pay multiple application charges before qualifying regarding housing is actually a significant difficulty
    for low earnings along with other difficult to spot individuals.

A player in League of Legends takes on the function of a Summoner – a gifted spell caster who has the
    facility to convey forth a champion to struggle as his or her avatar in Valoran’s
    Fields of Justice. A variety with a lot of reputble optimistic recommendations
    is highly recommended.

3. Autoimmune diseases are illnesses that occur when the
    body’s tissues are mistakenly attacked by their own immune system.
    Follow your intuitive guidance so that you can be happy every single
    day, and let the critical, authoritarian voice within you finally get some rest.
    You’ve probably seen the writing on the wall for about a year now and a lot
    of you have left the business already.

my page: Hay Day Hack Tool

4. In the third round, the girls each landed some kicks and Whittle again went for the standing guillotine-choke.
    3-D movies are hardly a new trend; they first landed on the
    scene in the 1950s and surged briefly as a novelty.
    With siege engines you will have to push the large wooden structure up
    to the city walls until the bridge crashes down and then you can swarm in.

Here is my web site :: castle clash cheats hack tool

5. Apart from working out to get into shape, maintaining proper diet is vital, it is now time to dispose off
    the particular junk food in addition to bring in the much healthier alternatives.
    Then, instruct them to visit your site for the complete
    story or answer. If you have player’s that did not
    use their attacks for no real good reason consider moving them on as this is not a sign of a team player.

Here is my website; How to get free gems in clash of clans

6. Simply put i carry the criminals to always keep my best foot style. There is unhealthy winter seasons. I really need you’ll deliver grocery coupons with your buy wow goldhs

7. ”  Winterfell is built on top of natural hot springs, and the water is circulated through the walls to assist with keeping the entire complex warm, and this helps make Winterfell one of the most comfortable places in all of Westeros. Blu-ray Deal of the Week: Resident Evil movies on sale for $9. that has a nasty habit of creating a bad sense of flow.

Check out my blog post; Castle Clash Gems

8. Normally, megapolis megabucks gratuit would be considered
    to don’t have any effect on our own economy, but right now there
    are in reality several side effects. The engages practically a hundred and fifty,
    000 people in the us alone. A person may possibly imagine comment tricher sur megapolis would have been a
    bad subject matter for you to cause a new campaign together with, in simple fact
    while using the interpersonal along with environment influence
    can be possesses, this subject was able to achieve many
    enthusiasts.

my site: free megabucks for Megapolis

9. Kim Kardashian is most known as an American socialite and reality TV star.

People gain and lose weight, they age, they use different makeup,
    they are photographed at different angles, the lighting is different, etc.
    And she loves pink over, under and around her Range Rover because it shows you don’t have to be a guy to enjoy a great ride.

Here is my web page; Kim kardashian hollywood cheats

10. Wow that was odd. I just wrote an very long comment but
    after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr…
    well I’m not writing all that over again. Regardless,
    just wanted to say great blog!

Here is my web site … hay day hack

11. With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright
    infringement? My site has a lot of exclusive content I’ve either created myself or outsourced but it seems a
    lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my agreement.
    Do you know any solutions to help protect against content from being ripped off?
    I’d definitely appreciate it.

Visit my web-site :: castle Clash cheats

12. Your headset had been because spectacular because within the picture. They came quickly. I would suggest choosing a towel through each coating while you press this off w / the vapor iron. It doesn’t vapor away along with merely a steamer. On iron was necessary. It is very fine, when you do not trust yourself because of the towel and/or steam iron, after that bring they up to a professional. Striking noise.

13. I had gotten this as being a gifts towards our sibling, pleased mama. She enjoyed that!! I was scared that is will be besides little due to the previous ratings and how things looked when I took one peak, however it fit very nicely. This appears pretty concerning plus their beautiful package it’s presented as part of.

14. It is an great gift concerning any family. I’d strongly incourage individuals to get your that makes a ideal present. Your transmitter does outstanding evening job at obtaining some sort of things upon duration. I purchased our products each day back and I also reveived it certainly fast.

15. Wonderful goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just too magnificent.
    I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you are
    stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take
    care of to keep it smart. I can not wait to read much more from you.
    This is really a tremendous web site.

Feel free to visit my site – castle clash hack (Gertrude)

16. sThe good information technology great, but, simply because that the sizes operated limited take things someone dimensions upwards.If you’re 5f 4inches subsequently duration specifications modifying otherwise exclusively don truly tall shoes or boots. Other than that liked that the gown

17. My personal son provided me personally your for the parents evening. He knows im not up to price still things comes from your heart. I cannot feel this has our favourite colors and in fact matches my personal wrist. I did not might find out bracelets to suit headphonesthe small wrist. Most happy to have actually recieved this as being a gifts.

18. sThe quality that awesome, although, simply because the actual dimensions run little need that it someone dimensions up.If you’re 5f 4inches after that duration desires modifying otherwise just wear really high shoes. Besides that adored the gown

19. Well mother’s evening present. However, on bracelet got as well prolonged in order to appear, and it arrived after the vacation. Our mother expressed which is she loved some sort of bracelet, even though We have not seen the lady don that yet. 🙂

20. The headset is since spectacular just as within the photo. Things arrived immediately. I would advise choosing a towel done every single layer as you click it over w / your vapor iron. It does not steam over among merely a steamer. Ones iron was essential. It is very fine, when you cannot trust yourself using the towel furthermore steam iron, then choose that up to a professional. Pretty audio.

21. Bought this as a present of the mama and she loved things. awesome quality amazing cost furthermore the mother enjoyed it. In addition delivered extremely quickly. When you require a gift quick while like this versus this is actually the an individual you need to invest!

22. Sar che le visite spesso si prolungano per ore, sar che fa caldo d’inverno e fresco d’estate, sar per l’abbondanza di letti e poltrone. Altro Ikea, le immagini più divertenti dei clienti addormentati

23. Il me semblait les montagnes de fondant, de la crème glacée et des crêpes dépassé la marque et regardé idiot, et la nourriture aéroportée jeté une ombre sur la ville, mais bon sang ces enfants sont courageux. Ils ont l’air un peu bizarre, mais; Flint semble être tout nez, comme son père est tout sourcil.
    Sac Lancel Pas Cher
    [url=http://www.frsoldesport.com]Sac Lancel Pas Cher[/url]

24. “The Avengers”, très attendus par les fans de BD Marvel, assemble tous les Vengeurs dans un film: Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, la Veuve Noire et Hawkeye. C’est comme un match des étoiles, ou le menu dégustation du chef dans un restaurant chic.
    http://www.sbcforum.com

25. sThe high quality that it awesome, conversely, as all dimensions run little choose it definitely one shape increase.If you are 5f 4inches then span wants modifying or perhaps really put on completely high shoes. Other than that enjoyed their gown

26. Ideal mother’s evening present. But, that bracelet took as well extended to show up, and it arrived following the vacation. Our mother indicated it she liked the bracelet, however I’ve not seen this girl don this but. 🙂

27. sThe grade they awesome, but, due to the fact the particular models operate tiny bring that it one size increase.If you’re 5f 4inches next span demands modifying or really use actually high footwear. Other than that enjoyed the actual outfit

28. Bought our as being a gifts of my mother and she liked things. wonderful premium great price tag to my personal mom enjoyed this. Also delivered extremely quickly. When you need a gifts accelerated and you such as this than this is basically the an you should purchase!

29. The over the top Roman extravaganza that is the Forum Shops at Caesars contains just one of the three Tiffany Co. Take a break by the “Trevi Fountain,” or by the giant aquarium. Specially lit ceilings, frescoed with clouds, make you feel as if you’re walking in natural light during the day and dimmer light in the evening.

30. Il est un géant refuser tas dehors de la ville, qui ressemble à un tas de scories et retenu par un barrage. Dans une tentative pour arrêter la tempête de la nourriture, Flint, sa petite amie et son copain de tunnel dans une montagne de bonbons, conduisant à la crise fragile d’arachide.
    T Shirt Armani Pas Cher

31. sThe top quality this ideal, however, due to the fact that the dimensions operated tiny bring they a single dimensions upwards.If you are 5f 4inches therefore size requires adjusting or even really put on actually tall sneakers. Besides that loved some sort of gown

32. But not while fancy in real world whether moms wrist is maybe not 2small do not buy that reason that stay tight .. it is cute and yet something yur 5year older makes . Non some sort of much less it is an ok gift towards render yet not letter wow gifts…cant get wrong provided don’t enjoy a great deal to blow on a present after that see it

33. Excuse me? Did I plan to have the father want nothing to do with us? No. Am I scared about the future? Yes. But I am sorry, do not preach to me about not being able to raise a baby in a loving, stable environment when A. You have no children of your own B. You married for money and are a socialite who hasn’t worked a real job in the past 15 years and C. You don’t have all the necessary information to make such strong statements.

34. Yet not just as fancy in real world when moms wrist are never 2small dont invest things trigger that try to be tight .. the attractive and yet something yur 5year older can make . No some sort of much less their one okay gift in order to bring yet not one wow present…cant get wrong if don’t come with a lot to blow on a present then attain information technology

35. This necklace, which features two clasps, allows you to open the necklace two ways and also has the unconventional closure up in the front, next to the pendant, rather than in the back. This is perfectly all right because these dual clasps create a nice.

36. The red carpet isn complete without acknowledging some of the gorgeous couples of the evening. Olivia Wilde smiled from ear to ear with husband Jason Sudeikis in Prada. Award winner (and Texas boy) Matthew McConaughey wore a white jacket as part of his Dolce Gabbanna suit/tux. Camilla Alves was effortlessly beautiful in pale pink. Another dynamic duo that dressed to perfection were Dax Shepard in John Varvatos and wife Kristen Bell in Roberto Cavalli. And last but certainly not least Brangelina. Brad Pitt in Tom Ford and Angelina Jolie in a metallic Ellie Saab Haute Couture gown kept their spot as a Hollywood power couple showing everyone how to make a red carpet impact. Major chic moment.

37. While former City manager Roberto Mancini had expressed his willingness to offer the Argentina international a new deal, he could yet leave the 2012 Premier League champions, and appeared to be waving farewell to supporters when substituted in the final game of the season.